The Beauty of the Home Directory

So…long story short, I hosed my main system.  I think it happened when I was trying to troubleshoot a problem with the newer version of the kernel.  But I learned something about the home directory that may seem obvious to many.

If you look at one of my last posts (it’s been a little while…sorry…) you’ll see where I used the FedUp utility to upgrade my main machine from Fedora 21 to Fedora 22.  Everything worked really smoothly.  I was worried since I had read a few things about the kernel mods used by the Nvidia driver (I have a GTX 780TI) had trouble with kernel upgrades.  But, it hadn’t given me trouble between 3.17-4.0.4, so I thought everything was fine.

Continue reading The Beauty of the Home Directory

Switched to Cable…

So I realized that I wasn’t using my TV service nearly enough to justify its cost, and I had an 18MB internet connection.  For internet and TV it was costing almost $180 per month.  The only time I would really ever use the TV would be for my girlfriend to watch the Bachelor, and the occasional football game.  It wasn’t like I would get home from work, watch the news, watch SportsCenter, or anything like that.  So I ditched it for cable internet.

Now I have just a 50MB internet connection for the same price that I would’ve paid if I canceled just the TV and kept the 18MB internet connection.  For what it’s worth, I had no problems with my service…if you want TV I still think that AT&T U-Verse is one of the best services I’ve ever had.  But I just wasn’t using it enough to justify the cost, and for the first time ever I have switched providers for a reason that does not in any way include being unsatisfied with the service.  But now I’m one of those new-agey pricks that can talk about how I’ve “cut the cord.”  Even though technically I just went from an internet company to a cable company.  Not for TV though.  I just started learning the process of getting used to using and having an HDTV antenna.  Amazed that stuff still goes out over the air.  Never thought I would be happy for it (I get ABC so the girlfriend won’t kill me for lack of Bachelor access).


So, the end result is I have faster internet access, and consequently, this site loads a little faster.  I think it’s doing pretty well considering it is all on a box in a spare bedroom.  Now I just have to figure out how to get my router to support Google Domains’ dynamic DNS.

Another effect of this change is that SSL seems to work now, I think.  I still (as per the previous post) have the SSL port set to 4433 instead of 443, but I can at least get to the sample test page I have set up by going to the site at the proper port.  There’s nothing there yet, just something like “SSL TEST WORKS” or something similar.  I’ve already forgotten.  So later this week I will attempt to change the port to the standard port, and see if my new ISP has it blocked or in use.  Shouldn’t be too hard to get set up.  Then comes getting OwnCloud to use it.

The only problem that I am still having is that I can’t access the SSL page at work, but I’m pretty sure that is due to some security settings they have in effect here.  They can be pretty aggravating at times, but it’s their network and their computers, and even though I have some downtime at work it’s not like I have anything close to a good case to getting it opened up as an exception to the policy.

But I think I’m finally making some headway.  We’ll see if I can get the entire website up and running with SSL, which will make me feel better about having a forum, OwnCloud, etc.

Gone and back again…

I managed to crash my own Debian server.  I got so frustrated with the SSL certificate installation process that I uninstalled apache with the intent of reinstalling it…which didn’t work, because it left all the config files (even after running things like “apt-get –purge remove apache2” and “apt-get clean && apt-get autoclean” and I wanted to start off clean.  So, my site was gone.  But now it’s back.  Gone and back again.

So, I backed up all of the web root folder to a NAS, and even went so far as to dump all of my MySQL databases as well…which I forgot to also move over to the NAS.

So after staying up *way* too late, I had a working installation of Ubuntu Server 14.04 installed, and got apache up and running…and that’s when I realized I didn’t have the databases backed up anywhere…so here I am starting over.

I’ve switched to WordPress, as I found Joomla just had way more features than I needed…so far it’s simpler.  I’ll spend more time later finding a better theme and customizing it, but for putting updates on the web that no one will ever read…it does just fine so far.

Up next on my to do list are to get SSL certificates working, which is first and foremost.  I want to do that before I start messing with anything else, because if everything gets screwy I don’t want to lose so much having to start back at ground zero.

After that I plan on getting phpBB and OwnCloud back up and running, then I should be good to go.

Now comments can be added…feel free…if there’s anyone actually reading any of this!